Friday, May 23, 2008

Hair today, Gone tomorrow


Looking back I have no idea how I ended up with a bald head. I think it started when I got lazy with shaving long enough that I reached that tipping point where you might as well grow a full beard. It was a short step to the Goatie that is on show in Helens 40th pics. From there bald was not as large a jump as I thought.

I left it until after Helens 40th, although I have put my hair through enough over the years I have never shaved my head bald before. I found a tradition barbers in town that could shave me with a cut throat razor, a rare thing it turns out.

I booked a lunch time appointment and then quickly found myself sat in the barbers chair nervous and excited. The woman who I am going to shave my head run a set of clippers over my head taking it down to stubble before I knew what hit me. I guess if you book the appointment saying you want your head shaved with a cut throat razor they have no need to ask the classic "And how would you like it today sir?".

She then wrapped a couple of hot towels around my head and left them to soften the hairs. Then I sat "very" still while she shaved me with the cut throat. I have to say that in the right hands it is a very pleasant experience, enough to get my face shaved at well. Next came more hot towels to exfoliate the scalp and then oil to sooth the skin. A final clean with a modern razor to make sure it is smooth and I am done.

It's hard to describe what it feels like to run your hands over your own scalp without hair. Something many people will never experience in their life. You soon realise how quick that smooth finish, you get about half a day with a smooth scalp until it gives way to stubble.

I picked the wrong time of year for this look but I have got used to it so it will stay for a while now :)

9 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow smooth looks great on you..would top the look off if u shaved the goatee off aswell!!!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Marrisa said...

Well I would say 'charming' is how it looks! Mr D is heading that way for a whole full on baldie, not sure how he will feel but I bet its gorgeous all the same! xx

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger katsblog said...

well Helen, how do you like having a smoothie for a hubby? LOL

now you have an excuse for some smart hats...

is the Goatie going in Spring?

Kat & Rob

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Can you help? I believe you are a moderator on the NZ Emigation web site. I have registered under the name 'tims' and can log in but cannot create new topics or reply to posts. I've tried everything I can think of but still no luck.
Any chance of following this up with the site administraor as I can't see any means of contacting him/her directly. Hope you can help.

cheers

Tim

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd Woz - you look bleedin' gorgeous! Mark and I now living in Clyde, Central Otago. www.centralone.co.nz (Bye bye sandfly!)Hi to Helen too. Cheers, Marianne xx

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe someone else is in the same situation as me (Tim) about the ENZ web site and has had to resort to finding a similar solution to their problem. Hopefully, you are a kindly soul (I think you are a moderator there known as Moorf) and might be able to help me too.

I am also a member of the ENZ forum and I have just joined (account maxx) but am unable to post or do very little. There are no contact details given on the site and I therefore have no means of trying to find out what is going on. Since there is little I can do, I have tried to find links in threads that would enable me to contact someone who is a member and could email the admin people on my behalf, or at least start a thread there asking what people can do who are in this situation.

I would be grateful if you could do this, sorry it's such an odd request. If you would prefer, leave a reply on this blog post or email me directly.

Many thanks,

Max

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Helen Leggatt said...

Tim and Maxx - I have contacted the powers that be and they will take it from here. :) Hope to see you both on the forum soon!

Moorf

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Helen, I really appreciate the help. (I also contacted a senior member called Liz, who has been helpful too). It's nice to meet such friendly people. Hopefully the powers that be will let me in soon!

It's been good to browse your blog. Sounds like the move has been a real success.

Max

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger KarenO said...

Well..!!! that is Bald. I think it suits you but trim up the goatie!!!
hopefully catch up soon xx love to H x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home