Wednesday, August 30, 2006

One for Gromit


Well I couldn't quite last the entire 6 weeks until tasting my first ever Cheddar - I succumbed with just 3 days to go!!

It's still young at 6 weeks but I needed to know that I had the basics right. It tastes lovely, albeit immature. Slightly zingy already and a really lovely aftertaste, almost goats-cheese like.

I have another one on the go which is only a week old and I'll be cloth wrapping that one in the traditional manner and saving it until December. I was very happy with the natural rind that I achieved on this one, just brine washing and turning every few days, so if the cloth wrapping is too fussy I'll go back to natural. In the next few weeks I'll be getting my first 10 litres of raw milk (unpasteurised) and shall be making another cheddar and a hopefully a blue, but I need to sort out some storage now that the house is heating up.

Unfortunately I shan't be able to sell my cheese until I can get in to a registered kitchen (bloomin' regs) so for now it's for family and friends only....

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Looks lovely! Makes me want to go make a cheddar omelet. I'm so impressed that you're making these yourself; I thought I was doing well just cooking dinner from scratch a lot more than I did in the states, but you're going all out!

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my that looks nice Gromit! Crackers are waiting patiently..............for the postie.

I don't need you to use a whosit kitchen. I'm happy with it made where it is thanks.

*Wonders how well I can time my next visit to Darfield* :))

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming with you Debs!!!
It looks fantastic!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Helen Leggatt said...

Well that's the first wheel of cheese eaten! Some was distributed to friends, anyone who came to the house was pounced on and I even sent a wedge to Wellington! All reports favourable and I must say I thought it was yummy. There's two more maturing as I type...

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm - yummy HB Cheese. Is that you crushing grapes a couple of months ago?

Contact me at Ykanti@yahoo.com and I'll forward you a couple of pics of the eventual Ykanti homestead.

For now, good luck with your "fun" procedure, truly hope it goes well...

Hasta,

M.E.K.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Leggatt,

Please cease and desist sending your unpasteurised solidified odorous milk solids in the post. We have lost three postmen so far and another two are "under the doctor". A plague of mice has descended on Wellington sorting office and there is a cracker crisis at New World where crazed Smilers are bulk-buying Caremelized onion relish.

Gromit

PS I prefer Wensleydale.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger katsblog said...

your cheese looked great, helen.

bet it would taste great with chateu de moorf!

Kat

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Helen Leggatt said...

Hope so Kat! I've got 2 more cheddars on the go now, and received the culture for a blue cheese through the post today! :-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will that blue cheese be ready for Xmas?

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Helen Leggatt said...

It's got your name on it Dad! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home