Sunday, July 23, 2006

Say Cheese!


Well, this is my first attempt at making cheddar cheese! I spent about 4 hours yesterday making it from scratch (10 litres of farmhouse milk, rennet, culture, big pans and a lot of patience!). I removed it from the press today (above) and will brine it and store it. This one I intend to test/eat in 6 weeks time. I'm making two more this week - one I will leave to mature until when my folks arrive and the other I will (try) and keep for 18 months.

I learnt this craft on a one-day cheesemaking course run by NZ's famed cheesemaker and author, Katherine Mowbray. The course was held at Langdales Winery just down the road from us in West Melton. It was a great day and I met so many interesting ladies (no men turned up!) from all walks of life - there were geologists, food writers, artists, chefs, hoteliers and even a lady from Zambia who used to run a huge cheese factory there...

We learnt to make feta, cheddar, ricotta, haloumi and mascarpone! Now I need to find a local dairy farmer who can give me 10litres of raw milk at a time!

Can't wait to taste it along with our wines which have now been racked off and are clearing nicely!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger katsblog said...

wow isnt it a small world, I spent 3 yrs of my childhood in Zambia...wish I could stay at home and make cheese...make wine...well make anything really. one week and I am fed up of having to work..ho hum thats how the cookie crumbles...ooh I have cooking on the brain..Ha ha

have fun living the "good life"..now where did I put that lotto ticket?

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That is some cheese Gromit!

Sounds like great fun and you get to eat the results.

I shall be checking in 18 months to see if cheese number 3 is still there ;)

Smiler

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Congrats on making your own cheese, and thanks for dropping by our blog this evening. That's serendipitous timing since I was catching up with your blog just this morning. And only last week I was rereading a sample builders report you were kind enough to send us through the enz forum.

Love the gorgeous chickens!!!

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger jonesey said...

Cannot wait to return to NZ...not long now and hopefully can find a course in cheese making Oh i just love me cheese....thanks Helen for comments on our blog.

You make it sound so easy.....

Mick & Sherren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home